Saturday, January 12, 2013

Educate Through Experience. Fig & Olive.















My dream job is definitely to design hotels and restaurants. The creativity that comes with getting to design those types of spaces is exactly what any young designer dreams about.

This resolution is simple… educate through experience. I want to become inspired by fellow designers work, or see what they did wrong and learn from their mistakes. I love going out to eat, and I am now living across the river from the food capital of the world. How could (within this next year) I not take advantage of all the restaurants, boutiques and hotels just three miles away?! Of course I am not going to limit my inspiration just to the big apple. Anywhere I go this year I want to train my brain to actually take notice to what I care about most, the design.

This first space is a restaurant in the meatpacking district, within New York City, Fig & Olive. This mini chain, having restaurants in several other areas in New York as well as one on the West coast, was purely amazing. Its simple concept of using exquisite ingredients and mixing them with their incredibly vast collection of olive oils leaves your stomachs feeling full, yet light, at the end of the meal. But I am so not a food person. Don’t get me wrong I love food but I am not expert and will not pretend to be, what I am more interested in is the design of the space.

The design was simply lovely. Incorporating beautiful bottles of olive oil with real plants entangled with white lights was a perfect way to demonstrate what the meal was going to incorporate just by walking to your table. The entire restaurant was a great use of space. There is an extremely large shelving system in the center that held more bottles, which created a really ingenious division of space. I also really appreciated how there were several areas of the restaurant, which made it seem like there were really no bad seat in the house.

All and all I really enjoyed my time at Fig & Olive. There was not a corner untouched with perfectly incorporated design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment